Dog Musher Training
The Dog Masters has partnered with International School for Earth Studies to launch an annual Dog Musher Training Program in Western Quebec, Canada. In your course, you’ll mush your own team of dogs in a wilderness surrounded by wild animals as you learn about the incredible traditional art of dog powered sports.
This 5-day program is great for those who want to go on an adventure and develop a deep bond with dogs in an exhilarating setting. You can expect this course to go a little something like:
40 hrs of immersive group and individual workshops with the Earth Studies’ pack of 18-Siberian Huskies and nature resources.
- 10 hrs of dog behavior training: learn how to safely walk, run, and hike with both leashed and unleashed dogs. Set rules and enforce appropriate behavior with a large breed pack of twenty-dogs. Use tools like dog sledding equipment, slip leads, dog backpacks and ecollar training.
- 10 hrs of dog psychology and education: learn how dogs engage and interact within a safe learning environment. Watch dog sledding and behavior consulting videos from National Geographic. Research the cause and effects of sight, smell and touch as it applies to caring for dogs.
- 10 hrs sled dog sport training: practice your cani-cross, bikejoring, and dog carting/sledding skills with one-on-one personal training and private coaching with the dogs.
- 5 hrs leadership and risk management: learn about observation and awareness skills that professional mushing guides and canine professions use to ensure their clients and dogs are always in outstanding welfare conditions and in a safe and positive environment.
- 5 hrs animal husbandry: learn about the rules that govern all animals in the animal kingdom and how dominant and submissive behavior modifies any natural environment. Group discussions and activities teach participants how to effectively communicate their intentions with dogs in a respectful manner.
By the end of this course, you will have a solid foundation of skills and experience living with dogs and supervising pack dynamics to pursue your passion in animal education and outdoor travel. Upon completion of this course, you'll also receive a certificate.
Minimum Age to participate: 21 yrs.